Here are FOUR Safety Tips to help you prepare:
- Always Wear a Life Jacket. This is the single most important thing you can do to keep yourself safe while boating in both warm and cool weather.
- File a float plan. Always communicate your intended whereabouts while on the water. Leave your float plan with a friend or family member to safely locate you in case of an emergency.
- Layer Up! Always dressing for the water temperature, rather than the air temperature. Wear a waterproof outer layer, and a fitted layer closest to your body to help keep your core temperature warm.
- Know what to do if you fall into cold water. Familiarize yourself with the Heat Escape Lessening Posture - H.E.L.P. You can learn more here: https://www.boatus.org/cold-water-boating/help/
Speaking of emergencies.. If you happen to capsize in cold water, keep these 3 tips in mind:
- Be Calm!
- Regain control on your breathing in the first 60 seconds
- Focus on locating an exit point and use the energy you have in the first 2-3 minutes to attempt to reboard your watercraft.
Grab your life jacket, a hot beverage and a blanket and enjoy the beautiful scenery that fall has to offer. Find a livery near you: www.rentalboatsafety.com/community!